Mrs. Iowa Nationwide 2018
Angela Marie Speers
Platform Issue: AIDS Awareness
- Age: 30
- Hometown: Oxford, Iowa
- College Major: Bachelor’s of Arts in Health Sciences from University of Iowa – Iowa City, Iowa. (Associate of Arts Degree in Pre-Pharmacy from University of Iowa – Iowa City, Iowa)
- Career: Social Worker
- If I am crowned Mrs. Nationwide: I hope to provide a positive image to other women not only as a mother and wife but also educating others on my platform. I would love to give more awareness and gain more acceptance of what HIV and AIDS really are to end the stigma.
- Bio: Angela Speers is a social worker for the Ryan White Program at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, helping those diagnosed with HIV obtain insurance. She also works with other entities and educates them on the diagnosis of our clients. She enjoys being with her husband, Brandon and daughter, Cora; going on dates with her husband; and teaching her daughter new things. Her greatest accomplishment is showing her daughter what a loving marriage looks like with her husband. Angela works with the HIV & LGBT programs at her workplace and has much community involvement with them, most recently reading the names of those lost to HIV & AIDS on World AIDS Day at the Old Capitol in Iowa City.
As part of her job, she talks to anyone and everyone about her responsibilities at work and her direct work with the HIV/AIDS diagnosis of clients. She regularly has individuals make a sour face, thus giving her an opportunity to inform them the stigma that causes, and how educating themselves will help make positive change. Angela loves to pay it forward. . .whether that means paying for a stranger’s dinner or going out of her way to help someone in need. She believes in Karma, and feels in the end she will be rewarded for her good deeds!
- Email: info@MrsNationwide.com
- Website: www.MrsNationwide.com
- Facebook: Mrs. Iowa Nationwide 2018